Each year, MPA awards several scholarships for MPA students and eligible instructors going to college or marching junior drum corps. Applicants are evaluated on the basis of merit and need.
NOTE: Scholarship applicants this year must perform a solo or ensemble in the 2014 MPA Solo and Ensemble Contest to be considered for a scholarship.
The deadline for the 2014 scholarship application is March 24!
The annual MPA Solo and Ensemble Contest is a great opportunity for students to advance and show off their musicianship skills by preparing a solo or ensemble piece. The 2014 contest will take place March 22 at Buffalo High School between the afternoon and evening portions of the WGI Minneapolis regional being held there that day.
Experience the start of what's sure to be another exciting season of indoor percussion performance in Minnesota! The 2014 MPA competition season starts Saturday, Feb. 1, at Eagan High School and continues the next weekend with the Minnesota Brass Indoor Drumline Competition and Totino-Grace Drumline Competition.
Check out the full competition season calendar here. See you at the shows!
The 2014 Minnesota Percussion Association Day of Percussion is just around the corner and is bound to be as exciting as ever! The 2014 MPA Day of Percussion will take place on, from at Rosemount High School in Rosemount, MN.
Guest artists and clinicians will include:
- The international percussion duo Maraca2
- Rudimental snare drummer and steel pan artist John Wooton
- The Minnesota Vikings Skol Drumline
- Members of the Hellcats Drumline from the West Point Band
- Minnesota-based drummer/percussionist/educator David Stanoch
- Minnesota Percussion Association instructors Brian Duffy, Daniel Elsen, Matt Kettelhut and TJ Larum
Registration for the event will start at 8:30 a.m. Members of MPA ensembles are provided free admittance. Non-MPA students can attend for $10.
Lunch will be available for purchase in the afternoon. A full meal (Subway sandwich, chips, cookie and a drink) will be $6. Percussion vendors will also be on site selling sticks, mallets, drum pads and other accessories.
The 2013 WGI World Championships will go down in history for MPA as two of our ensembles earned the honor of being World class finalists and a third MPA drumline celebrated a fourth-straight finals appearance and second Fan Favorite Award in a row!
- Eden Prairie High School, in just its second year of WGI competition, not only made finals its first year in Scholastic World class but climbed to a very impressive 10th place.
- Minnesota Brass Indoor enjoyed its first-ever Independent World class performance and earned 13th place in a very tough competitive group.
- River City Rhythm enjoyed its second Independent Open class finals appearance, earning eighth place. RCR also earned the Fan Favorite Award for its class, an impressive feat, considering they won that award last year.
And congratulations to Forest Lake High School, Irondale High School, Rochester-Lourdes High School and St. Cloud All-City Drumline on awesome performances to finish out their seasons!
We're proud of how all of our ensembles represented MPA on the WGI stage!